asuyeta blog full with handmade clothing, styling tips, photography, diy projects and more

Fun Friday - DIY Beach Hair

I love the messy hair/bohemian look. I also love the beach.

So, here is a DIY Sea Salt Beach Hair Spray that I can not live without anymore! The hair just looks so pretty, just like after a day at the beach. And it works for any hair length!

Here you go, the tutorial on how to make the beach hair spray:

beach hair diy by asuyeta

Here is what you'll need:

Coconut Oil
Sea Salt
♥ Vodka
Hair Gel
♥ Spray Bottle
♥ Measuring Cups

Here is how do make your very own beach spray:

1. Fill 1 cup of warm/hot water int the spray bottle. Make sure the water is warm-hot so the coconut oil melts.

2. Add 1 tbsp of Coconut oil, it smells awesome and keeps your hair healthy. If your hair is super dry, use 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil.

3. Add 1 tbsp of Vodka or 1/4 tbsp of rubbing alcohol - the spray will last longer and it helps to break down your hairs oil build-up.

4. Add 2 tbsp of Sea Salt. If your hair is more oily you can add more sea salt.

5. Add a few spritzes of hair gel, to give your hair a better hold and texture.

6. Shake it all up and always do before each use.

NOW:
Spray all over damp hair and scrunch with your fingers. Blow dry or let it air dry. Finger comb through your hair and you look like you just came from a beautiful and fun day at the beach!

EXTRA TIP:
If you have some more time you can also spray all over, part hair in about six sections and loosely braid your hair. Blow dry or sleep on it. When its dry (or the next day), finger comb braids out. Take a large curling iron (1 1/4") and loosely twist some (about 4-6 should be enough) hair strands around the iron, hold for a about 30 seconds. Finger comb through again and you are good to go.

You look so beautiful! ♥

Now all you need is a beautifully handmade piece of clothing to finish of the look:

handmade clothing - beach hair outfits by asuyeta

handmade clothing - beach hair outfits by asuyeta

handmade clothing - beach hair outfits by asuyeta
{click on images to shop!}

Now it's your turn! I would loooove to see some pictures of your beach hair. Post the link to your image below!

♥ Erika

PS. Show me some love and like this below ;)
filed under: beauty :: DIY :: inspiration ::

Comments:

Sara:

Could I use sweet almond milk instead of coconut oil (can’t stand the smell of coconut). I use it on my skin and its better than any lotion I’ve tried, says I can use it on my hair too. It has an thin consistency, would that make a difference? Thanks :)

July 10 2012 at 10:07 PM

Kayla:

Would it be better to use ‘extra virgin olive oil’ or conditioner? Also does the gel have to be in liquid form? Would styling foam or ‘difi’ gel be better?(:

July 13 2012 at 01:07 PM

Sam :

I’m gettting ready to make this and my coconut oil is like cooking coconut oil and has no smell to it :/ so its just going to smell like vodka , what do i use to make it smell good ?

July 13 2012 at 05:07 PM

Laura:

Sam, you can use any essential oil. You can get them at your local drugstore. Make sure you’re not buying those oils that you use for the diffusers you put in your home, those are different!

July 22 2012 at 04:07 PM

Jackie:

Is the hair gel necessary ?

July 23 2012 at 06:07 PM

Erika:

@Jackie – no, it’s not! :)

@Sam – take Laura’s great advice and use a couple of drops of organic essential oil!

@Kayla – Definitely conditioner rather than Olive Oil!

@Sara – I haven’t tried Almond milk but it sounds awesome! Please report back and let us know how it worked!

@Pamela – Yes, it should work on fine hair as well! Add some more salt for a stronger look!

@Bea Van – YAY! I love it too!

@KimberlyLove – No, the small amount doesn’t and Vodka is not 100% alcohol :)

@Angela – Definitely use Sea Salt!

July 23 2012 at 07:07 PM

Angela:

This sounds amazing and I found the Eco Gel too. One question, could I use Himalayan Sea Salt?? I use it at home and have a block of it :) Thanks so much.

Peace & Love

July 29 2012 at 01:07 PM

Angela:

Either that or I have sea salt for my fish tank…The real deal lol!

July 29 2012 at 01:07 PM

Erika:

@Angela – yes, you can definitely use the Himalayan Sea Salt! Let me know how it turned out! ♥

July 29 2012 at 02:07 PM

Alexis:

this may be a silly question, but I just made this and it filled up my bottle to the exact top. Now won’t the ingredients settle after awhile? Do I just shake it all up again if it does? I made it to use in the morning.
thankss!

August 07 2012 at 10:08 PM

Erika:

@Alexis – that’s exactly what you have to do, shake it up before each use! :)

August 07 2012 at 11:08 PM

Mira:

I just tried this last night, one the coconut oil turns solid overnight.. how do you keep it from solidifying? Two it didn’t really give me the texture that Bumble Bumble surf spray gives me which is what i’m going for…. do i just need to keep adding more salt till it gets that texture on my hair that i’m looking for or do I need to add more or less of something else?

September 26 2012 at 08:09 AM

Erika:

Mira – you need to fill the sink with hot water and put the bottle in there for a few minutes, shake it up again and it’ll be good as new. Also, just add more salt if it didnt give you the texture. It might be, your hair is more oily and it needs more salt. Let me know :)

September 26 2012 at 09:09 AM

elizabeth:

I cannot find your great tutorial/recipie for making the beach hair formula:(
is there asy way u would send it to me?
thank you 100000 times!

September 28 2012 at 09:09 PM

Stephanie:

Can you use rose water?

October 05 2012 at 10:10 AM

Jodi:

Erika – I would LOVE to try this, just wondering if you think it will work on chemically straightened hair? I had the Aveda re-texturizing treatment done 6 months ago. Thanks!

October 16 2012 at 09:10 PM

Anisa:

This is such a cool diy! Do you know how long we can keep using the spray after we’ve made it?

October 21 2012 at 02:10 AM

Mia:

sounds lovely! can I use hairspray or wax instead of the hair gel?

December 23 2012 at 07:12 AM

Erika:

Stephanie – sure, Rose Water sounds fun!

Jodi – I am sorry but I don’t know if it will work, definitely worth a try!

Anisa – you can keep it in the fridge for a long time and just hold it under hot running water and shake it up before each use

Mia – Wax is probably to hard and won’t dissolve but hairspray works perfectly!

December 23 2012 at 10:12 AM

Megan:

Couldn’t see the description itself, but everyone’s great comments made me want to ask to have the recipe sent to me. Can you do that? Greatly appreciated – thanks :-)

December 27 2012 at 01:12 PM

Brandi:

I cant see the recipe :(

January 27 2013 at 12:01 PM

Claire:

Just saying, if you dont want to have to soak your bottle each time. You can just rub a very small amount of coconut oil in your hands and through your hair and scrunch it in the hair. Then apply the spray.

March 19 2013 at 06:03 PM

Debbie Scholl:

Please send me the recipe for hair product

April 27 2013 at 08:04 AM

Valissa:

This sounds like a great idea!! But do you have to use the vodka? :)

October 26 2013 at 12:10 AM

Rebecca Aguilar:

Instead of vodka could I use Malibu ? To give it a better scent lol cant wait to try this!

January 07 2014 at 05:01 PM