WANT TO RECEIVE WEEKLY LOVE LETTERS + MORE RAD SHIT?! SIGN UP >>>

Fun Friday - DIY Beach Hair

I love the messy hair/bohemian look. I also love the beach.

So, here is a DIY Sea Salt Beach Hair Spray that I can not live without anymore! The hair just looks so pretty, just like after a day at the beach. And it works for any hair length!

Here you go, the tutorial on how to make the beach hair spray:

beach hair diy by asuyeta

Here is what you'll need:

♥ Coconut Oil
♥ Sea Salt
♥ Vodka
♥ Hair Gel
♥ Spray Bottle
♥ Measuring Cups

Here is how do make your very own beach spray:

1. Fill 1 cup of warm/hot water int the spray bottle. Make sure the water is warm-hot so the coconut oil melts.

2. Add 1 tbsp of Coconut oil, it smells awesome and keeps your hair healthy. If your hair is super dry, use 2-3 tbsp of coconut oil.

3. Add 1 tbsp of Vodka or 1/4 tbsp of rubbing alcohol - the spray will last longer and it helps to break down your hairs oil build-up.

4. Add 2 tbsp of Sea Salt. If your hair is more oily you can add more sea salt.

5. Add a few spritzes of hair gel, to give your hair a better hold and texture.

6. Shake it all up and always do before each use.

NOW:
Spray all over damp hair and scrunch with your fingers. Blow dry or let it air dry. Finger comb through your hair and you look like you just came from a beautiful and fun day at the beach!

EXTRA TIP:
If you have some more time you can also spray all over, part hair in about six sections and loosely braid your hair. Blow dry or sleep on it. When its dry (or the next day), finger comb braids out. Take a large curling iron (1 1/4") and loosely twist some (about 4-6 should be enough) hair strands around the iron, hold for a about 30 seconds. Finger comb through again and you are good to go.

You look so beautiful! ♥

Now it's your turn! I would loooove to see some pictures of your beach hair. Post the link to your image below!

♥ Erika

PS. Show me some love and like this below ;)
Want weekly inspirational makeout sessions + more radness delivered conveniently to your inbox? Sign up below. IT'S FREE!

filed under: beauty :: DIY :: inspiration ::

Comments:

Becky:

nice, thank you!
www.thesocialbuyer.com

July 25 2011 at 11:07 PM

mariana:

Just love it! I was wondering, how does it look for dark hair?

July 31 2011 at 07:07 PM

Ann:

I can see everything on the page but the pics. I’m dying over here!

August 01 2011 at 05:08 PM

Erika:

The server is down, everything should be back to normal in a few hours! Sorry about that! :(

August 02 2011 at 05:08 AM

Lexxie:

Looks awesome, I wanna try! I don’t have coconut oil though, is there anything else I could use instead?

August 02 2011 at 08:08 AM

Erika:

@Ann – It will look amazing no matter what haircolor you have. :)

@Lexxie – you can also use a bit of conditioner or olive oil. :)

And for everyone that thinks it weird to put alcohol in it, alcohol is actually in a lot of hair products.

Like I mentioned above, it makes the spray last longer and the alcohol cleanses the scalp, removes toxins from hair, and stimulates the growth of healthy hair.

♥ Erika

August 02 2011 at 11:08 AM

Lexxie:

Okay, thank you! Gonna go try it now!

August 02 2011 at 11:08 AM

candy:

can i just substitute warm water and sea salt for just legit seawater?? it’s hard to find sea salt in my area :(

August 05 2011 at 11:08 PM

janae:

my hair is pretty frizzy would this work on my hair?

August 11 2011 at 03:08 PM

Becca:

Being from an area near the water, but now living inland I absolutely love this!

August 12 2011 at 12:08 AM

Erika:

@candy – sure, just boil it and let it cool down before mixing it with the other ingredients!

@janae – yes, maybe you want to add a little more coconut oil to help with the frizz.

Let me know how it worked for you!

♥ Erika

August 15 2011 at 02:08 AM

Alexandra:

So, I don’t have alcohol at my house right now… Can I use anything else as a substitute?

August 15 2011 at 08:08 AM

Alexandra:

NEVER MIND! I just read it again and noticed you said you can use rubbing alcohol. :p

August 15 2011 at 08:08 AM

Lexy:

would this work with really curly hair, or will it still curl like crazy?

August 15 2011 at 02:08 PM

Michell:

This is really cool, Thanks for the tip. Always use Natural Skin Care for better and safer results.

August 16 2011 at 05:08 AM

Erika:

@lexy – I really couldn’t say since my hair is just a little wavy, but I think you would just need a little more coconut oil to tame the curls. Let me know how it works out for you!

♥ Erika

August 16 2011 at 11:08 AM

Millie:

My hair is really dry, especially the ends, will the sea salt dry it out even more?

August 19 2011 at 04:08 PM

Erika:

@Millie – just use more coconut oil and you can even put a bit of hair conditioner in, for shiny and healthy hair!

♥ Erika

August 19 2011 at 05:08 PM

Emily:

my natural hair looks like that! i brush my hair before i shower and let it air dry and it looks like that :) i love it! and i have dark long hair!

August 19 2011 at 07:08 PM

tina:

will this work if i have pretty straight hair that doesn’t curl very easily?

August 21 2011 at 05:08 PM

Allie:

I wanna try this so badly! But I couldn’t find the sea salt or coconut oil. Where can I find it? Plus my hair is really really curly! Will this work?

August 21 2011 at 06:08 PM

Kaylee:

M hair is a bob about a little but past my chin..wouuld this make my hair look good? And if so can the alcohol be fflavored like “Rasberry vodka?”

August 21 2011 at 07:08 PM

Lily xx:

I have curly medium length hair … how would my hair look if i used this? Plus my mum won’t let me get the vodka (she doesn’t trust me lol:)) would this work with out it??

August 22 2011 at 12:08 AM

Allie:

That’s so beautiful and super easy!! I’m so gonna make this. Thanks for sharing!~ xoxo.

August 22 2011 at 12:08 PM

carly:

is there any substitute for coconut oil?

August 22 2011 at 06:08 PM

asha:

what sort of alcohol works best and does it matter what alcohol you actually use ?

August 23 2011 at 08:08 AM

gaby:

i have highlights in my hair will rubbing alcohol be bad for themm???

August 27 2011 at 08:08 AM

Deva Curly Girl:

I am a deva curly girl (anyone with even a slight curl should check out the curly girl method for hair!) So I don’t use shampoo. Would the alcohol wash out without the dying sulfates in shampoo? Or would the alcohol dry out my hair? I go to great lengths to ensure my hair has a lot of moisture. The program works with my nature oils so I don’t think I would want the alcohol to break down and dry those up…is there a healthier substitution for the alcohol?

August 28 2011 at 03:08 PM

Erika:

@Deva Curly Hair and Gaby – Alcohol does try out the hair a bit (thats why I use vodka and not 100% alcohol!) but thats why I use a bit more coconut oil.

But you can just leave the alcohol out if you want, but the spray wont last as long without alcohol. Just prepare a smaller bottle and you’re good to go!

♥ Erika

August 29 2011 at 01:08 AM

Kelly:

I have blonde highlights in my hair and was wondering if the alcohol (rubbing alcohol or regular) will change the color of my hair at all.

September 04 2011 at 09:09 AM

Braci:

What about the smell of the alchohol? Its extremely strong..

September 04 2011 at 02:09 PM

jolie :

i will try it although am not very sure it will work but will give it a try.. ty

September 04 2011 at 07:09 PM

Stephanie:

So I can across this today while using Stumble Upon and I am trying it tonight. I got my Coconut Oil at GNC. Its like a health supplement place and where you can buy protein powders etc. I live in Canada so there is probably a diff version of that store in the States/Rest of the world. I will upload a pic if possible tomorrow because I intend to sleep on it(my hair takes forever to air dry!!)

September 09 2011 at 03:09 PM

@kikolove:

hey! i was just wondering if there is any substitute for coconut oil? i dont know where to get some, and i really want to try this out!

September 14 2011 at 07:09 PM

Lisa:

I came across this on Stumble and just made it tonight. Cannot wait to try this!!! Way better than spending money on beach spray (which I’ve done!)! Thank you!!!

September 17 2011 at 08:09 PM

Victoria:

Lovely ♥

September 28 2011 at 02:09 PM

leanna:

This is great! I love the beach hair look too; i think its sexy and fun! Thanks for this!!

October 16 2011 at 11:10 PM

Ena:

I don’t have hair gel, can I leave it out and then use hairspray afterwards?

October 29 2011 at 01:10 AM

Ly:

Thanks for this. I going to for try it out sometime.

-Ly

November 03 2011 at 09:11 AM

Natalie:

I tried it, and it really didn’t work. It looked no different from my regular hair and I put all the measurements it said to in. I have really think medium brown hair. Any advice?

November 25 2011 at 11:11 PM

Erika:

@Natalie – it might be because you have thick hair. Just put some more salt and a little more gel in. That should work! Let me know! :)

♥ Erika

November 29 2011 at 02:11 PM

Courtney:

Vodka?! I like this idea. I’ve been trying different braids, but like the step-by-step you give. I read up on new trends at: http://www.taaz.com/trends/trends.html. You should post something!

December 18 2011 at 11:12 PM

Stephanie:

So I just mixed all the ingredients and shook it too,
and me and my sister were wondering if it’s normal for the Sea Salt Beach Hair Spray to smell like really strong alcohol? We used 70% Isopropyl alcohol instead of vodka. Will it still work? :/

January 03 2012 at 06:01 PM

Erika:

@Stephanie – no, it shouldn’t smell so strong. You should have used half the amount of alcohol because its about twice as much alcohol than whats in vodka.
♥ Erika

January 04 2012 at 04:01 AM

Brea:

Where can I buy all this stuff? I can’t find it

January 06 2012 at 12:01 PM

Marissa:

Very cool and easy tip! Thanks so much!
I’m just wondering for such a full bottle, will I be able to keep it in the fridge or just out? Or is it a one time deal?

January 08 2012 at 11:01 AM

jennifer morris:

i cannot wait to try this! i keep seeing comments on “too much alcohol” smell. is it really THAT bad?

January 08 2012 at 05:01 PM

Samii:

LOVE THIS! I’m SO excited to try this!!!

January 14 2012 at 01:01 PM

Mattie Jean:

This is awesome! My only thing is, I have a perm and my hair is curly. But for the past week my hair has looked like “beach waves.” But, I cant get it to look like that again, it is just ringlets. Would my perm mess up the beachy look with this spray?

January 22 2012 at 01:01 PM

sam:

LOVE THIS. but i think i’ts waste of alcohol, I wanna drink :P

January 22 2012 at 07:01 PM

Jennifer:

Wouldn’t the alcohol do some kind of damage to the hair???

May 12 2012 at 06:05 PM

Erika:

@Jennifer – No, its only 2 tbsp and vodka has only about 30% alcohol. So its save :)

May 12 2012 at 09:05 PM

Megan:

Any substitute for coconut oil?

May 13 2012 at 03:05 PM

Erika:

@Megan – I haven’t tried anything else but why not try using a bit of Olive Oil?

May 13 2012 at 11:05 PM

cheyanne:

Does this work if you wear extensions?

May 15 2012 at 11:05 PM

Erika:

@Cheyanne – I am not sure, but if they are real hair extensions, I don’t see why it shouldn’t work.

May 16 2012 at 12:05 AM

Karen:

I used this recipe but modified it. I love the smell of Bumble and Bumble’s Beach Spray so I have been looking for a DIY recipe so I can recreate my own. Thanks for sharing. Since I didn’t have coconut oil, I used the next best thing – hair conditioner. I used the same amount you suggested and added a few drops of essential oils to make it smell pretty. It did the job! Almost smells like the B&B Beach spray too!

May 29 2012 at 02:05 PM

Erika:

Awesome, Karen! What a great idea with the conditioner :)

May 29 2012 at 02:05 PM

maria:

If i were to use rubbing alcohol how much should i use?

June 07 2012 at 07:06 PM

Noelle:

Could you use Argan oil in place of the coconut oil?

June 10 2012 at 06:06 PM

Saskia:

I used Monoi Tiki Tahiti Tiare Oil – still coconut oil but with a little bit of flower sense in it.
LOVE IT and it looks really cool with my ombre hair. Thank you so much :)

June 11 2012 at 10:06 AM

brooke:

I am wondering if I can leave out the hair gel – or is there some other more “natural” ingredient I can use instead?

June 12 2012 at 08:06 PM

Donna Drew:

the measurement [tbsp] confused me. Tablespoon is Tbsp, while teaspoon is tsp.
I used the ingredients with an 8 0z spray bottle, and because my hair is dry I used two tbsp’s of coconut oil, everything over flowing! I am guessing you meant teaspoon?

Still love it and was spending 20$ on Charlotte Ronson ( the smell reminded me of lily of the valley and some people complained about that, while I loved it.) Glad to have a recipe that I think I can work with….thank you

June 13 2012 at 04:06 PM

brittany :

Amazing website !!! Love everything is awesome

June 14 2012 at 11:06 PM

Brittany:

What kind of coconut oil to you recommend. I am on that soap website and there are so many different kinds that I wasn’t sure what to choose from. Thank you!

June 15 2012 at 08:06 AM

Erika:

Brittany, go back up and under “Here is what you’ll need”, just click on Coconut Oil and you’ll get to the one that I personally recommend ♥

June 15 2012 at 09:06 AM

Angela :

Can you use table salt instead of sea salt . I only have table salt

June 21 2012 at 04:06 AM

jeopardy:

cant wait to try

June 24 2012 at 08:06 AM

KimberlyLove:

Won’t the alcohol dry out your hair?

July 01 2012 at 09:07 AM

Steph:

Just finished making this and about to jump in the shower so I’ll put it in afterwards and check back later to say how I find it….have to say though at the moment I’m deffo looking forward to it, can’t smell the alcohol much at all and I added a bit of coconut scented hair protection spray to enhance the summery smell and it’s lovely :)

July 03 2012 at 03:07 AM

Bea Van:

This worked so goood!!! Better than any product I have ever bought! I used conditioner instead of the coconut oil but will try that next batch! My hair tends to frizz in humidity but not with this! Also, I used it on dry hair that i washed the night before! Love it!!

July 05 2012 at 10:07 AM

Pamela:

Will this work with straight hair? I have absolutely no volume nothing to my hair, but I would love to try something like this. Thanks

July 06 2012 at 10:07 PM

Sara:

Could I use sweet almond milk instead of coconut oil (can’t stand the smell of coconut). I use it on my skin and its better than any lotion I’ve tried, says I can use it on my hair too. It has an thin consistency, would that make a difference? Thanks :)

July 10 2012 at 10:07 PM

Kayla:

Would it be better to use ‘extra virgin olive oil’ or conditioner? Also does the gel have to be in liquid form? Would styling foam or ‘difi’ gel be better?(:

July 13 2012 at 01:07 PM

Sam :

I’m gettting ready to make this and my coconut oil is like cooking coconut oil and has no smell to it :/ so its just going to smell like vodka , what do i use to make it smell good ?

July 13 2012 at 05:07 PM

Laura:

Sam, you can use any essential oil. You can get them at your local drugstore. Make sure you’re not buying those oils that you use for the diffusers you put in your home, those are different!

July 22 2012 at 04:07 PM

Jackie:

Is the hair gel necessary ?

July 23 2012 at 06:07 PM

Erika:

@Jackie – no, it’s not! :)

@Sam – take Laura’s great advice and use a couple of drops of organic essential oil!

@Kayla – Definitely conditioner rather than Olive Oil!

@Sara – I haven’t tried Almond milk but it sounds awesome! Please report back and let us know how it worked!

@Pamela – Yes, it should work on fine hair as well! Add some more salt for a stronger look!

@Bea Van – YAY! I love it too!

@KimberlyLove – No, the small amount doesn’t and Vodka is not 100% alcohol :)

@Angela – Definitely use Sea Salt!

July 23 2012 at 07:07 PM

Angela:

This sounds amazing and I found the Eco Gel too. One question, could I use Himalayan Sea Salt?? I use it at home and have a block of it :) Thanks so much.

Peace & Love

July 29 2012 at 01:07 PM

Angela:

Either that or I have sea salt for my fish tank…The real deal lol!

July 29 2012 at 01:07 PM

Erika:

@Angela – yes, you can definitely use the Himalayan Sea Salt! Let me know how it turned out! ♥

July 29 2012 at 02:07 PM

Alexis:

this may be a silly question, but I just made this and it filled up my bottle to the exact top. Now won’t the ingredients settle after awhile? Do I just shake it all up again if it does? I made it to use in the morning.
thankss!

August 07 2012 at 10:08 PM

Erika:

@Alexis – that’s exactly what you have to do, shake it up before each use! :)

August 07 2012 at 11:08 PM

Mira:

I just tried this last night, one the coconut oil turns solid overnight.. how do you keep it from solidifying? Two it didn’t really give me the texture that Bumble Bumble surf spray gives me which is what i’m going for…. do i just need to keep adding more salt till it gets that texture on my hair that i’m looking for or do I need to add more or less of something else?

September 26 2012 at 08:09 AM

Erika:

Mira – you need to fill the sink with hot water and put the bottle in there for a few minutes, shake it up again and it’ll be good as new. Also, just add more salt if it didnt give you the texture. It might be, your hair is more oily and it needs more salt. Let me know :)

September 26 2012 at 09:09 AM

elizabeth:

I cannot find your great tutorial/recipie for making the beach hair formula:(
is there asy way u would send it to me?
thank you 100000 times!

September 28 2012 at 09:09 PM

Stephanie:

Can you use rose water?

October 05 2012 at 10:10 AM

Jodi:

Erika – I would LOVE to try this, just wondering if you think it will work on chemically straightened hair? I had the Aveda re-texturizing treatment done 6 months ago. Thanks!

October 16 2012 at 09:10 PM

Anisa:

This is such a cool diy! Do you know how long we can keep using the spray after we’ve made it?

October 21 2012 at 02:10 AM

Mia:

sounds lovely! can I use hairspray or wax instead of the hair gel?

December 23 2012 at 07:12 AM

Erika:

Stephanie – sure, Rose Water sounds fun!

Jodi – I am sorry but I don’t know if it will work, definitely worth a try!

Anisa – you can keep it in the fridge for a long time and just hold it under hot running water and shake it up before each use

Mia – Wax is probably to hard and won’t dissolve but hairspray works perfectly!

December 23 2012 at 10:12 AM

Megan:

Couldn’t see the description itself, but everyone’s great comments made me want to ask to have the recipe sent to me. Can you do that? Greatly appreciated – thanks :-)

December 27 2012 at 01:12 PM

Brandi:

I cant see the recipe :(

January 27 2013 at 12:01 PM

Claire:

Just saying, if you dont want to have to soak your bottle each time. You can just rub a very small amount of coconut oil in your hands and through your hair and scrunch it in the hair. Then apply the spray.

March 19 2013 at 06:03 PM

Debbie Scholl:

Please send me the recipe for hair product

April 27 2013 at 08:04 AM

Valissa:

This sounds like a great idea!! But do you have to use the vodka? :)

October 26 2013 at 12:10 AM

Rebecca Aguilar:

Instead of vodka could I use Malibu ? To give it a better scent lol cant wait to try this!

January 07 2014 at 05:01 PM

Lexie:

I’ve read multiple DIY’s on ’ salt spray,’ and some articles say you can use hairspray, or aloe vera. Or sometimes conditioner. Which would be the best?

June 17 2014 at 12:06 PM